Close
  • Careers Advice including Apprenticeships

Careers Options

If you are not sure what career you could pursue in the NHS take this simple test

 

https://www.stepintothenhs.nhs.uk/

 

Please contact us if you would like further information about any Primary or Community Care Career.

An overview of apprenticeships

Apprenticeships are a fantastic opportunity to grow your own talent and bring fresh ideas into your practice. Apprenticeships broaden the scope of training and development for existing staff, whilst attracting new people to improve diversity within the workplace and bridging gaps in supply.

Oxfordshire Training Hub (OTH) is working with local Federations OxFed, PML, Abingdon Federation, and SEOX and other partners to support practices to recruit Apprentices within Primary Care.

There are a wide range of clinical and non-clinical apprenticeships available, which can be a great way to fill a particular need in your practice. Non-clinical roles can help build skills in areas such as administration, customer service, health care, finance and IT for example.  As well as your practice providing on-the-job training, apprentices will study with a training provider of your choice.

Easy four step process

1

Identify a gap within your surgery and decide on the job role you wish to fill

2

Identify and contact the training provider for that job role

3

Advertise and recruit

4

Provide on-going support to the apprentice

Funding

  • If you employ less than 50 people and employ an apprentice aged 18 or under, the government will fund 100% of their training programme and pay you a £1000 incentive per apprentice to help towards the cost of training.
  • If you employ someone 19 and over, they will still contribute 90% towards the cost of the associated training programme, leaving you to cover only 10%.
  • If you employ more than 50 people but are not an apprenticeship levy payer (your annual payroll in England is less than £3 million) the government will still contribute 90% of the cost of each apprenticeship training programme, and pay you a £1000 incentive for each apprentice under the age of 18.
  • For apprentices under 25, you do not pay NI contributions.

For more information go here.

If you are unsure where to start, contact Teresa.beswick@nhs.net and we can come and meet you and discuss this.

Useful Links

List of local providers for Non Clinical Roles:

Colleges:

Work based providers:

List of local providers for Clinical Roles:

Health and social care

Nursing Associate Higher Apprenticeship – Department of Nursing

Healthcare Assistant Practitioner Higher Apprenticeship

Nursing Apprenticeship

Degree Apprenticeships – Learn more here – UCAS

Apprenticeships Resources

Key facts and figures

  • Format: .pdf
  • Size: 241kb

Apprenticeship FAQS new

  • Format: .pdf
  • Size: 177kb

APPRENTICESHIPS-IN-GP-PRACTICES-FLYER-new

  • Format: .pdf
  • Size: 67kb